A fungal disease, known in medical practice as onychomycosis, affects the nail plate of the feet and causes a lot of inconvenience to a person. The nail that has undergone pathological changes exfoliates, acquires an unusual shade for healthy tissues, the nail bed itches and hurts. Pathology develops as a result of the entry of pathogens into an environment conducive to reproduction. Most often, a healthy person becomes infected in places intended for public use (swimming pools, water parks, saunas, gyms) or after wearing shoes previously worn by a sick person. An effective remedy for toenail fungus will help get rid of an unpleasant disease.
Patients looking for the best remedy for toenail fungus should pay attention to modern pharmaceutical preparations. They actively act on pathogens and help to remove the fungus as soon as possible. In addition, these drugs have the property of accumulating in the body over time, which provides a therapeutic effect for a long time even after refusing to take drugs.
To find out how to quickly cure toenail fungus, you need to make an appointment with a specialist doctor, who, after a thorough diagnosis, will make an accurate and objective diagnosis that excludes other pathologies and prescribes effective treatment. Complex therapy is usually shown, which is aimed at fighting pathogenic microorganisms and strengthening their own immune defenses. The program, developed with the aim of eliminating toenail fungus, is designed for two or more months (depending on the degree of tissue damage) and includes:
- Oral administration of tablets affecting the reproductive function of pathogenic microorganisms. These drugs actively destroy the cell membrane of the fungus located on the toenails. The active substance penetrates into the tissues of the nail plate, starting to remove pathogens after 2-3 months after taking the drug.
- Topical application of paints, ointments and drops. These medicines fight fungal infections locally.
- Taking vitamin complexes and immunomodulatory drugs that increase the body's resistance to aggressive pathogens.
In some cases, complex nail fungus treatment involves mechanical removal of the damaged plaque. For this purpose, a cutting or sawing procedure is carried out. Alternatively, special agents are prescribed that soften pathologically altered tissues. The doctor individually develops the treatment regimen for toenail fungus, taking into account the physiological state of the patient and the stage of the disease.
Treatment of pathology by folk methods
It is possible to achieve high therapeutic results in a short time by using folk remedies for fungus on the feet and drugs at the same time. In the piggy bank of traditional healers, there are many effective methods of treatment.
Fungal infections of the nails can be treated with iodine. An alcoholic solution of this substance has antiseptic, anti-inflammatory and fungicidal properties. This is an effective folk remedy against toenail fungus in cases where the amount of damage to the nail plate is insignificant. The course of therapy lasts at least two months. There are many good ways to use iodine that can help you get rid of an unpleasant disease. Among them:
- Iodine applications.A cotton swab is moistened with an iodine solution and the surface of the damaged nail plate is treated with it twice a day. Alternatively, a drop of product is applied to the lesion with a pipette.
- Iodine baths.This is the most effective remedy that, in combination with pharmacy drugs, helps to eliminate the manifestations of the disease. The thighs are placed in moderately hot water with the addition of iodine (the solution is light orange) and steamed for about 10 minutes. Then the softened areas of the diseased nail are cut off, the surface is first treated with hydrogen peroxide (3%), then with cream, ointment or varnish with antifungal action. Toenail fungus baths with iodine are a quick fix that gives good results at home.
- Compresses of iodine.This remedy for the treatment of fungal infections shows excellent results thanks to its targeted action on pathogens. The active components of iodine cause the coagulation of proteins. The structure of the fungal cell contains proteins, so tablets with iodine have a destructive effect on the pathogenic microflora. Compresses are applied to the affected areas in the area of the nail plate and feet. A gauze or cloth soaked in iodine solution is applied to the affected area and left for an hour. Hygiene procedures (washing of the feet) are carried out 2-3 hours after applying the compress.
When using iodine to treat toenail fungus, it is important to observe the dosage and concentration of the solution. In people with excessively dry skin, this therapy can cause chemical burns. It is also advisable to carry out a preliminary test for a possible allergic reaction.
Apple cider vinegar or wine vinegar therapy
Helpful tips on how to fight toenail fungus include powerful recipes based on apple cider vinegar, wine vinegar or classic vinegar. The high level of acidity of these fluids has a detrimental effect on the pathogenic microflora. Pathogens cannot survive, let alone multiply in an acidic environment, so the colony dies quickly. To achieve a strong therapeutic effect, it is necessary to carry out the procedures regularly until the traces of tissue damage completely disappear. Effective remedies:
- Vinegar bath.Patients who are interested in how to best treat toenail fungus should pay attention to this simple but effective method. Water is poured into a small basin at a temperature of 45-50 ° C, apple cider vinegar is added. Recommended proportions: water - 1 liter, vinegar - 3 tbsp. The legs are steamed in the prepared composition for 10 minutes. After that, the softened areas are removed from the nail plate, the surface of the nail is lubricated with an antifungal drug from the pharmacy. Traditional healers are advised to carry out the procedure every day until recovery.
- Compress based on vinegar and oil.Apple cider vinegar is mixed with vegetable oil in equal proportions. A bandage folded in several layers is moistened in the solution and applied to the diseased nail.
- Pack of vinegar and glycerin.Take apple cider vinegar and glycerin in equal parts, mix. The mixture is applied to carefully steamed legs, after removing the softened fragments of the nail plate. Then the worked fingers are wrapped with cling film, wrapped on top with a bandage or a strip of fabric. They keep it for eight hours.
- Vinegar lotion.This is a powerful folk remedy for toenail fungus. Mix 70% vinegar, glycerin and denatured alcohol in a 1: 1: 1 ratio in a container. In the prepared solution, a piece of gauze or a cotton swab is abundantly moistened, which is then applied to the diseased area for 15minutes. The disc is fixed with an adhesive plaster, a sock is put on top. The procedure is carried out every day for a week, then a 7-day break is taken and effective treatment is resumed. In this mode, you should continue to process your nails until complete recovery.
Treatment with folk remedies, which include vinegar, in combination with the use of traditional medicine, allows you to quickly get rid of the disease. However, it should be remembered that any remedy with vinegar from nail fungus can cause thermal burns if the dosage or time of exposure is not respected.
Kombucha to fight the disease
People interested in how to treat a mushroom are advised to pay attention to other time-tested folk recipes. Mushroom kombucha has been used for a long time. The active ingredients contained in kombucha have antiseptic and antifungal properties. For therapeutic purposes, a small fragment of the fungus is used to clean the damaged surface of the nail.
You can also use kombucha compression. For the procedure, a layer of mushroom is separated and immersed in water for 12 hours. Then it is applied to the diseased area, wrapped on top with plastic wrap and put on the socks. The compress is done in the evening and left overnight. After removing the fungus, it is recommended to rinse the feet with warm water and remove the exfoliated softened part of the nail. Then the surface is smeared with iodine or a solution prepared from potassium permanganate.
Baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) is excellent for softening, disinfecting and drying affected tissues. Soda is often used in solutions, less often in dry form or in combination with other active ingredients. A soda bath is prepared with 7 liters of water at a temperature of 45-50 ° C, three tablespoons of soda and the same amount of minced tar (laundry) soap. The baths are done for four days.
Treatment of lesions localized on the legs is carried out with soda paste. To prepare it, soda is diluted with water until a pasty consistency is obtained. Put the paste on the nail plate, drip a few drops of lemon juice on it. In the course of a chemical reaction, bubbles form, the patient feels a slight tingling in the affected area. After 5-7 minutes, the composition is washed off and the affected area is treated with an antifungal pharmaceutical ointment.
Effective saline products
Toenail fungus salt is often used in the form of solutions. The procedure is carried out daily until the traces of the disease completely disappear. Salt baths with the addition of vinegar are effective. Recommended proportions: 100 g of sea or table salt, 4 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar, 4 liters of water. For an effective fight against fungal infections, tampons soaked in a solution of high concentration sea salt (1 tablespoon per glass of water) are applied to the damaged area.
Traditional recipes based on medicinal herbs
Medicinal herbs for toenail fungus are extremely effective and are used in the form of infusions, baths and compresses. One of the most effective recipes is celandine infusion. To prepare the remedy, take 100 g of celandine, add 1 liter of boiled water, insist 20 minutes. The infusion is filtered and diluted with lukewarm water in a 1: 1 ratio. They put their feet up and soar for 15 minutes.
Many patients are interested in the question of which herbs can be used to treat the fungus localized in the area of the nail plate.
Trays with concentrated decoctions and infusions based on:
- St. John's wort;
Peppermint essential oil helps in the fight against pathology.